Plant-Based Chestnut Burger
500g chestnuts, cooked and peeled*
250g brown mushrooms, chopped
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 teaspoon dried chives
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons soy sauce
6 brioche buns
Beetroot / tomato relish
NB: 800g of fresh chestnuts produces approximately 500g once cooked and peeled
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan on high.
2. Add the mushrooms and continue stirring regularly until browned.
3. Turn heat down to medium, add the onion and chives. Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring.
4. Add the garlic, soy sauce and chestnuts. Sauté for a further minute, stirring.
5. Turn off the heat and allow to cool slightly.
6. Place contents into a food processor. Season with salt and pepper, then process until mixture comes together but still has a slightly coarse texture.
7. Form the mixture into patties approximately 2cm thick. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.
8. Heat frying pan and add the remaining olive oil.
9. Cook patties for 5-7 minutes on one side then flip for a further 5-7 minutes on the other side, or until cooked through and browned on the outside.
10. Serve on a brioche bun with relish, lettuce, red onion and sliced tomato. Add plant-based cheese and mayonnaise if desired.