Chestnut, Chicken and Pork Lettuce Cups
- 200g fresh chestnuts (or 150g frozen peeled chestnuts)
- 4 dried Chinese mushrooms (shiitake mushrooms)
- 2 tbls extra virgin olive oil (or peanut oil)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbls finely grated fresh ginger
- 200g chicken mince
- 200g pork mince
- 4 green shallots, ends trimmed, finely sliced
- 1 tbls Shao Hsing wine (or dry sherry)
- 1 tbls oyster sauce
- 1 tbls dark soy sauce
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Pinch of salt
- 8 iceberg lettuce leaves, washed, dried and trimmed
Score chestnuts by cutting a shallow cross on the flat side with the tip of a sharp knife and place in boiling water for 5 minutes. Peel as soon as they’re cool enough to handle. Just peel outer skin and leave the fine pellicle on. Chop chestnuts into ½ centimetre pieces.
Place dried mushrooms in a bowl of hot water and soak for 30 minutes. Drain, remove and discard tough stem, chop each mushroom into ½ centimetre dice and keep aside.
Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add chopped chestnuts, garlic and ginger and stir for a minute. Add the mince. Stir-fry with a spoon to break up any lumps for 3-4 minutes until mince changes colour. Add the shallots and stir through. Add wine, oyster and soy sauces and stir through for a minute. Add bean sprouts and sesame oil, stir through and remove from heat. Check for seasoning and add a little salt if necessary. Spoon mixture into lettuce cups and serve..
Serves 8 as a first course